Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Springtime in Pennsylvania

Yes, I know that summer has unofficially begun, as today is Memorial Day. The trees are fully leaved, and fewer have that bright green of new growth. Only a few still have blossoms. But there are still a few signs of spring.


One of my favorites is the first sighting of the Canada geese parents with their goslings, who are the yellow-green color of the outside of a boiled egg yolk. Dad stands guard while Mom has something to eat and watches the goslings to make sure they don't wander into danger.





In early spring, before the eggs are hatched, the pairs of geese are inseparable. The female sitting quietly while the male feeds, and the female eating while the male stands at her side.  I look forward to seeing the goslings, and watching them grow, every year since I have lived here. This year, winter was long and cold and spring seemed so long away. When it finally arrived, I was reluctant for spring to move into summer, but I still find evidence of spring.

Lily of the Valley
One of my favorite scents has always been lily of the valley (and the perfume, Muguet de Bois). I loved the song as a child and have always thought the flowers so delicate and beautiful. But I don't think I have ever seen the plant growing until a few days ago. I looked out the window of the truck when we were stopped at a corner. There were tiny white flowers on the plant growing there. The next time we passed, I looked more closely and was delighted to see that it really was lily of the valley.



No comments: